[Sca-cooks] nutmeg poisoning

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 4 04:06:23 PST 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:11 AM, Arianwen ferch Arthur wrote:

> could/would the effects of the nutmeg poisoning be from the
> hallucinogenic effects of the outer coating?    (of course if the
> outer coating has chemicals that can cause hallucinations why should
> the inner part be totally free from them?

Does mace have a greater reputation as a hallucinogen than nutmeg? I
had not heard that (not even in reading a biography of Charlie Parker
yesterday).

> (so how did we learn to eat rhubarb?)

More importantly, how did Rhubarb inherit a baseball team?

On the eating front, I'm assuming that either A) someone discovered
its vitamin/mineral and/or oxalic acid (I think that's it) content,
which happened to address some specific health problem, or B) it was
considered useful for cooling the blood in cases of mild fever and
general choleric and sanguinary imbalances ;-).

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter