[Sca-cooks] OT- Peerage Oaths

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 4 08:06:05 PST 2009

> They don't call up the knights individually to give their oaths? That
> is often done here in Ansteorra, although I don't think it is common
> in Ansteorra for the other Peers to get time for individual oaths.

We don't require non-Knights to swear fealty. A non-knight may swear

an oath of personal fealty but it is not required for their Peerage.

The only other group that is required to swear fealty is the Landed

Baronage.

Officers are required to swear an Oath of Service which is different from

fealty.

> While it is period, I find the individual oaths to be rather boring
> and drawn out at Coronations, at least for the audience. You can't
> hear the individual oaths.

I've always found the individual oaths of fealty to be rather boring myself.

So what we did was tell the knights that they are already bound by the

original oath they swore when they were chained. What they do at Coronation

is simply reaffirming their original oath. This way a mass oath does not

cheapen the fealty of the individual and a knight doesn't have to feel duty

bound to say nice things if they don't like me personally. They don't even

have to be there but are still in fealty to the Crown and Kingdom if not to

me personally.

We also allowed that any knight who wishes to swear a personal fealty

may do so at any other Court other than Coronation and they would be

granted the honor of being the first order of business. I would never

command or demand knights to give me fealty as has been done by

other Kings. Once the oath is sworn and the person chained that oath

continues until it is nullified either by the individual or Society.

Oh, and one thing we did at our Coronation was we found a period oath

and made a couple of changes to better suit our game. This got away

from the Tolkien oath that is used so much. Well, we attempted to use

the period oath but with everything else going on Elizabeth and I kept

forgetting the words and just ad libbed it anyway. But at least we made

the attempt!

> Stefan

Gunthar

Still King