[Sca-cooks] OT- Peerage Oaths

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 4 21:15:43 PST 2009

Urtatim replied to me with:

<<< Stefan li Rous wrote:
They don't call up the knights individually to give their oaths?

You mean, one at a time? Cheez, dude, we'd be in court all day. As i
said, sometimes the peers are called up in groups: knights and
masters of arms, then laurels, then pelicans; and sometimes all peers
at once. I suppose it depends on the King and also on how much
business court needs to contain. >>>

Yes, that is what I meant. Not a roll call, but each Knight is
sometimes allowed to come up individually and give his oath. And yes,
I can remember it taking quite a long time and boring since, unless
you were in the first few rows, you couldn't hear the oath. And in my
case, see who it was up by the King, anyway. :-)

<<< King Radnor kept an sand-glass on the table between him and his
queen and when the sand was all at the bottom, in 90 minutes, court
was over. The vast majority of the populace was quite grateful.>>>

Oh my. I will say that HTM Gunthar's courts have been fairly short.
Unfortunately, I can also remember some long courts both in and
outside of Ansteorra. One that comes to mind was the Meridian portion
of the Grand Court at Gulf Wars several years ago which went on and
on and on with award after award from AoAs on up. This was probably a
factor in Grand Court being changed in later years.

<<< I remember bailing out of a court with some friends - court had
started around 5 PM, and we left at 8 PM. We had a child with us who
needed to be fed. It had already been about 3 hours. I don't know how
much longer it went on. This was, fortunately, atypical.>>>

I guess I wouldn't call a three hour court here typical, but not that
atypical, either. Of course it is worse when it happens just prior to
feast.

<<< So why do knights swear fealty individually, but laurels and
pelicans don't? They are all peers, after all, and they're all needed
to make the events, and the SCA as a whole, be what it is. >>>

I don't know the justification for calling up the Knights
individually but the other Peers as groups. It's just what I've seen
at several Coronations. Yes, I've heard that all the Peerages are
supposed to be equals.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas