[Sca-cooks] food allergies, life choices, issues

Ginny Beatty ginbeatty at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:41:30 PST 2009

My query is:  How do you attend to people with food allergies, issues, life
choices?  Also,  how often do you make a dish you can't stand just because
it is a good/period dish and you know others will enjoy it?

Food allergies - People absolutely have to be responsible for their
own allergies. That being said, you must request that *ANY* food
allergies need to be communicated to you by X date so that you may
accommodate them. Also, post a list of ingredients just in case.
Our former baroness has celiac, so for head table we made gluten free
items and reviewed the menu with her before hand. She really
appreciated it.
Life Choices - i.e Vegetarians - I live an area where we have
meatatarians and vegetarians. Be creative with your menu and design
something that might accommodate both. Serve the veggies separately so
the bacon-wrapped beef roast doesn't touch the roasted carrots.
Achieve some balance.
As for a good, period dish I can't stand-  I know there are regions
where certain dishes are expected because the world might end
otherwise (Savory Toasted Cheese, need I say more?). Also, be careful
that some popular dishes don't get overdone. Do a little homework,
look at other groups menus, publish your menu, or for example you
might have a string of events where  you're going to get Rice in
Almond milk - a lot.
Gwyneth
midrealm