[Sca-cooks] First Feast Execution

Meisterin Katarina Helene meisterin02 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 12:16:23 PST 2009

I once attempted a large feast in the East Kingdom that I got far more credit for pulling off than I know I deserved... (I seem to remember falling apart about mid-day and someone very kindly coming to my rescue, but don't remember who they were <sigh>).  I thought we would have use of at least 3 ovens, but it turned out there was a gas line problem and we had only one that worked.  This was a feast that was supposed to be for around 400 people... way beyond my abilities at the time... and probably still is <sigh>.  Somehow, I must have pulled myself together, we farmed some of the food out to local home kitchens, but the feast ended up being nearly 2 hours late... half the people left because of children needing sleep... but the food was actually quite good all in all.  I was awarded the Order of the Burdened Tyger for it, but sometimes I don't think I deserved it.

I learned that I couldn't do a feast for so many diners, but also learned how to better pace myself and staff in the kitchens.  Now, I won't do a feast for more than 75 diners.  I now plan things out in 15 minute increments throughout the day, so that things happen logically and smoothly in the kitchens (when I do get the chance to be head cook).  I didn't get to do feasts for quite a long time because of back problems, which are no longer an issue... so I might get myself more involved in doing feast for my local group again.

Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana) http://narrental.home.comcast.net
Middle Kingdom

The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark." -- Michaelangelo