[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Media Inquiry for Historic Cooks/Hearth Cooks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 5 15:52:38 PST 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 6:37 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> I saw one episode of one of these shows featuring one family who was
> devoted to things medieval. Under normal circumstances they probably
> looked a lot like many people we all know - or are. But on the show
> they seems weird and out of touch with reality. I don't remember the
> other family - clearly very buttoned-down, organized, and "modern".

I think I remember seeing some of that. What I missed probably was
broadcast after I ran, screaming, first to hurl my dinner and then to
briefly consider tearing my eyes out.

As I recall, the "modern" family (which was not without its
dysfunctional aspects, which were of course downplayed) was both
chosen and actively portrayed to serve as contrast to the "medieval"
family, who were... well... very, very much into the middle ages, but
also with certain aspects of their lives emphasized so as to make them
appear as web-footed, inbred, insane, and home-schooled-in-
questionable-material as was humanly possible.

I expect there may be people like that family, but I think they came
across as more time-travel extremists than they actually were, and
this was probably intentional.

I guess it depends on how badly you need $20K. Do you get it for
participating, or do you have to "win"? Whatever that means?

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter