[Sca-cooks] food allergies, life choices, issues

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Mar 6 14:25:16 PST 2009

>Regarding dietary practices, it is interesting to remember that, in
>certain European locations in period refusal to eat certain foods
>would brand you either a heretic, i.e. a Cathar, or a secret Jew or
>Moslem.  Not a good thing in such situations.

Chiquart makes it clear in _Du Fait de Cuisine_ that there will be
guests with various food restrictions, presumably for either medical
or religious--penance--reasons, and that they should be accomodated.

He also says that some guests will have brought their own cooks with
them, and will need kitchen space to prepare their master's favorite
dishes. Not something I've ever incorporated in an SCA feast.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com