[Sca-cooks] Weights and measures re Chocolate Drinks

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Mar 17 06:23:21 PDT 2009

A couple of weeks ago there was a post regarding Chocolate
and the research being done by Master Raymond von dem Lowengrab OL.
Master Raymond and I have been corresponding back and forth about
various aspects
of chocolate research and early sources. He sent me this post today
regarding
some of the weights/measures that appear in the Florilegium file on
Chocolate Drinks.
I have done some more research and will post the findings here before
sending it onto
Stefan.

The background as constructed from posts in the florilegium:

Back in 1996 there was a post by Eric S. Haverberg that gave a recipe.
It reads in part--  Date: 26 Oct 1996 06:36:48 -0400
EHAV at oro.net (Eric S. Haverberg) wrote:I here is the recipe I have
from 1631 published by Antonio Colmenero who had taken it from a
Marchena physician;

            700 cocoa beans
           1 1/2 lbs. white sugar
           2 ozs of cinnamon
           14 long red peppers
           1/2 oz of clove
           3 cods of logwood or Campeche tree - similar to fennell
                or instead use
           the weight of 2 reals (or a shilling) of anniseeds
           as much Achiote to give it the color of hazelnut

 I don't know what some of these measurements are so I will leave that
up to some one more knowledgable then I.

Ottokar von dem Schwartwald, AoA  Shire of Blackhawk Middle Kingdom

Later in 2000 our own Anahita (now known as Urtatim) posed the questions
of weights.