[Sca-cooks] A little article I wrote on Le Menagier's sausages...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 24 10:53:59 PDT 2009

Hullo, the list!

Last weekend I put out a dayboard for a smallish event in the Barony
next to the one I live in. I don't often do dayboards, nor am I
normally a big fan of them, so I ordinarily farm them out to people
that like to do them. But on this occasion, the smaller numbers and
the timing allowed for a slightly different setup and format than the
one I normally encounter at events with dayboards, and the whole
experience was terrific fun. All we did was cook medieval dishes one
or two at a time, running it as an ongoing class, matching our pace to
the skills of whoever was present in the kitchen at the time, and
serving them when they were done. And then doing it again, and again,
all day. It took some advance planning and prepwork, but on the day,
prep work was minimal, stress zero, timing relaxed, attention to the
questions of students pretty luxuriant, cleanup a breeze, and quality
control very high.

In short, an all-day medieval hot-food buffet combined with a full day
of Medieval Food TV broadcasting. Dishes included hanoney and sawgeat,
beef ystywyd, coneys in papdele, grilled saucisson, cabbage porrey,
chewets filled with venison mincemeat, chyches, shortbread, and other
sweets. Around 7PM I was asked to stop cooking and serve only the
foods I had ready, so the creme yboyled became snow -- it required no
cooking, after all... the most perioid dish was the shortbread, which
I included because it was easy, quickly prepared in large quantities,
universally popular, on the outer edge of periodicity, and the perfect
tool to get someone who says they can't make period food to change
their mind.

I actually had intended to get some video taken to put up somewhere
where it could be accessed by people like you, and then left my
camera, which I wanted to pack last so it would not be crushed, home
on my desk while I went on a 90-mile train trip with the other stuff I
needed for the event. I do have a couple of snapshots of drying
sausages and candied fennel and coriander confits, but nothing like
what I had intended.

Next time. Now that we've got a format that seems to work really well,
there'll be more time to worry about other things.

I do, however, have a little article I knocked together for the local
newsletter on the sausages we served, which I include here:

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter