[Sca-cooks] Special diet friendly sweets

Amy Cooper amy.s.cooper at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:06:30 PDT 2009

If I was just cooking for Friend #1, yes, Lenten stuff is fabulous.
Unfortunately, I only have Sunday afternoon to prep all this stuff,
and really need to keep it to two dishes, lest my Lord Husband have a
hissy ;-)

Yes, Friend #2 knows she should find out for sure. She's especially
cautious because her dad has known nut and mustard allergies.
Apparently, many folks with peanut allergies have almond allergies as
well (a strange combo to me, they're not particularly related,
taxonomically, as I understand it), so she avoids them. Yes, if I
could use almond milk, that would make life SO much easier! I figure
having the wonton chips on the side will allow Friend #2 to control
her consumption of wheat. She's not Celiac - she has pretty bad acne
that not much has helped, so the docs are trying an elimination diet
for a month or so first.

As for the fruits I have around, I'm pretty much stuck with what I can
find in the grocery stores right now. I haven't seen quince in
Windsor, ever. I'm not even sure I'll be able to find the chard for
the torta - will end up with spinach if that's the case. I know there
are apples around, and I'm assuming pears. There's a decent selection
of dried fruit available at Bulk Barn and other places.

Would it be a period-acceptable (if not truly documented) dish to cook
up dried apples, pears, cherries, and raisins/currants (maybe figs
and/or dates as well, if budget allows) with red wine, sugar/honey,
and spices like ginger and cinnamon and cloves, into a thick
sauce/salsa/dip/thing?

Ilsebet