[Sca-cooks] flour query

Arianwen ferch Arthur caer_mab at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 24 12:50:30 PDT 2009

A redaction recipe I looked at suggested using pastry flour to more closely resemble medieval flour.

Hmm...I know of all-purpose flour (bleached or unbleached) whole wheat flour, bread flour, and cake flour  (and self rising, and the speciality flours I have seem graham etc.)

but what is pastry flour?

(and bread flour has more gluten than all purpose, while cake flour has less -- and how much is more and how much is less??? sheesh)

Also read that 3 c of flour is a pound, but remember that it was about 4 1/3 cups  (about twice that of a pound of sugar...)

does sifting your flour before measuring make that much difference?

Arianwen ferch Arthur
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog it's too dark to read." G. Marx