[Sca-cooks] flour query

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:25:20 PDT 2009

I've seen pastry flour and whole wheat pastry flour.

According to King Arthur their pastry flour is 8%protein, Whole wheat pastry
flour is milled from low-protein soft wheat and their regular red labeled
flour is 11.7% protein.

The regular all -purpose flour in a 5-pound bag, about 19 to 20 cups.  The
KA website has lots of good information about their many many kinds of
flours and protein content, etc.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/<http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-home-b.html>

Yes, sifting makes a difference.  If you sift flour and then lightly spoon
it into a measuring vessel it will take less flour to make the required
amount of flour - that it why I prefer to measur flour by weight if I can
get the conversion.

I remember being told that if a recipe calls for sifted flour (as opposed to
flour sifted) you can remove 2 tablespoons of flour from the measuring cup
to achieve a similar result without sifting.  2 cups sifted flour means to
sift before measuring.  2 cups flour sifted means to sift after measuring.
Shoshanna