[Sca-cooks] OT- Peerage Oaths

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 24 14:41:13 PDT 2009

On Mar 24, 2009, at 5:15 PM, Celia des Archier wrote:

> So, in other words, Atlantia is violating Society policy... they're
> just doing it like employers who get away with
> anti-discrimination laws, by "good ole boy" rules?  I really don't
> know what to say to that.
>
> *Is* it unofficial policy?  The way folks were talking, it sounded
> like the BoD mandate that there be an option was official policy
> that no one be inhibited from participation on the requirement to
> swear fealty.  I haven't read the Corpora lately, so I'm not sure.
> But it would seem to me that the policy against religious
> discrimination would apply in the case of requiring an oath of
> fealty, so
> "vetting" people well in advance to prohibit them from becoming a
> member of the Chivalry if they will not take an oath of fealty
> amounts to religious discrimination, so it seems to me that they're
> going around a very important policy. Of course, I know from
> personal experience that the part of Corpora which is intended to
> prevent religious discrimination can't actually prevent bigotry,
> but at least it *should* prohibit it's occurring in such a
> systemized manner.
>
> I'm sorry... but what you're saying below is actually pretty
> shocking to me.  Taking an oath, any kind of oath, is something that
> some people take very seriously, and I would expect a society based
> on Chivalry to understand that such a requirement would hit on
> ethics or religious beliefs for many people.  So hearing that
> members of a Kingdom's Order of Chivalry within the SCA are
> essentially skirting around non-discrimination policies to permit
> them to discriminate against people who might hold religious
> beliefs or even just personal ethics which prevented them from
> taking an oath of fealty to a temporary and pretend monarch - well...
> it's pretty shocking to me.
>
> I certainly wouldn't expect there to be a lot of people who would
> choose to become an MoA rather than a Knight/Dame, but I would
> expect those who do to be people with very strong religious and/or
> ethical values... exactly the type of people whom we would *want*
> in the Order of Chivalry.

And, of course, since none of us has ever seen a member of the
Chivalry (or other peerage) break an oath (have we???), it becomes all
the more important that this high standard be maintained. Right?

I was the apprentice of a Laurel who's a practicing Quaker, and he had
trouble with the concept of an oath of fealty, which I suspect he
passed on, in part, to me.

I've just been really careful not to make any promises I'm not certain
I can keep, or to make any secret of who it is, in the Society, that I
serve.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter