[Sca-cooks] Is Rhubarb period for Europe? or not?

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 12:44:12 PDT 2009

I wrote:

>> The Archpriest of Hita mentions eating rhubarb with goat
>> liver for lunch. Villena in the beginning of the 15th C provides
>> instructions on how to carve it.

Brighid queried:
> Suey,
>
> Can you tell me in what chapter of "Arte de Cortar" Villena mentions
> rhubard? and what the Spanish word is?
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain

Rhubarb in Castellan is "ruibarbo" and Old Castellan "ruybarbo. I am
incorrect in stating that Villena says how to carve it. It appears in
the section "Guisos y Manjares" of Calero's edition of "Arte cisoria"
page 114 which contains the modernized text of the cover letter sent
with the manuscript to Sancho de Jarava for editing. It states that
rhubarb was generally used in sauces and prepared dishes in the Middle
Ages. Calero adds that it was used as much as it is in English bake
goods today. My source is: Villena, Enrique de Aragón.  _Arte cisoria
tratado del arte de cortar del cuchillo_. Texto modernizado y notas
appendices por Francisco Calero. Introducción por Valentín Moreno.
Madrid: Guillermo Blázquez. 2002.

Thanks for making me look up my source and correcting myself!

Please pardon my delays of late. I am due to have a couple of slipped
disks replaced and something done to the sciatic nerve  which is being
pinched by one of them on Tuesday.  Peter is going to have cataracts
removed Friday next probably and is up to his ears with his yearly check
ups as well. His cars is still in the garage after a drunk ran into us
on 1 Jan. So between running around for cat scans, blood tests and all
the preliminaries incurred we are up to our ears with only one car
functioning.
Suey