[Sca-cooks] A Dizzle of Honey

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Mar 28 22:48:37 PDT 2009

>Ok I think understand almond milk is a cover up thanks so much for
>explaining it but murri and the rest?
>Suey

One of the sources the authors used was the Manuscrito Anonimo, the
13th c. Andalusian cookbook that I got Charles Perry to translate
many years ago. My guess is that they tried to fit some of its
recipes to the information they had, in order to reconstruct
plausible guesses at the Jewish recipes. Hence murri.

Almond milk is common in medieval European cooking, of course. One
thing it could be used for is as a milk substitute on fast days. So
perhaps using it on a non-fast day would be seen as suspicious? Seems
like s stretch.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com