[Sca-cooks] lunch ideas- feedback

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 29 20:23:36 PDT 2009

Theodora asked:
<<< I have volunteered to create a lunch for 50 at an event in June,
warm
weather here in Ealdomere. This will be my first contribution to my
canton, in this my first year in the SCA. The budget is $100- which may
go to $150 if I whine a little. Is this budget doable? >>>

It should be, from what I remember others here saying,

<<< Suggestions would be appreciated. I have been told that period
food is
not necessary, but I would like to have one or two period items. I only
have one period cookbook- Take a Thousand Eggs. >>>

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list!

There are a lot of recipes online, both original from/in medieval
documents and in redacted form. What will work for you will depend
upon what your experience in cooking is, which you haven't told us.

For some of both of these types of recipes I like to recommend the
Florilegium. But then I have a bit of a bias. Many of the redactions
in there, come from the folks on this list, so if you find some there
that interest you, you can probably ask here for more details or if
you have specific questions.

Here are a few files that come to mind:
In the FEASTS section:
Picnic-Basket-art (26K)  5/21/08    "A Pilgrim's Picnic Basket" by
Master
                                        Gideanus Adamantius, O.L.
picnic-feasts-msg (18K)  9/15/08    Ideas for light, picnic style
feasts.

Dayboards can be more extensive than a "lunch" but even for a smaller
lunch, some of the individual dishes may be of interest.
dayboards-msg     (62K)  2/20/08    SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day
meals.
Daybrd-Advent-art (16K)  8/ 5/02    "Dayboard Adventures" by Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa.
Rus-Vik-daybd-art (10K) 11/27/05    A Russian/Viking dayboard done by
Mistress
                                        Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
Al-Halfla-art     (18K)  2/15/09    Al Halfla 2009 event dayboards
                                       by Lady Adelisa di Salerno
(was Gianotta).

You mentioned that this may be a warm weather feast. Here is a short
file, but maybe some of the comments may be of use:
hot-weth-fsts-msg  (4K)  6/21/01    Ideas and menus for hot weather
feasts.

Another summer type feast.
Andalusan-Fst-msg  (8K) 10/26/02    An Andalusian summer banquet
                                        by Giles de Laval.

You've also not mentioned whether you are wanting to feature a
specific culture or time period. I've given you menus from a variety
above. Some of the above mentioned files will have recipes, others
are more reviews with menus. We/I can probably also point you to
other dishes including recipes if we have a better idea of what you
are looking for and what facilities you will or will not have.  Is
everything going to be served cold? If not, are you warming things up
on campstoves or a campfire or do you have access to a full kitchen?

Is this the big meal for the event? Or is this just to hold people
over until a bigger feast in the evening?

A good lunch item, although probably not period, is Scotch Eggs:
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (19K)  3/ 5/05    Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled
eggs.

Good for dayboards or grab-and-go type lunches.

If you are planning a more sit-down meal, then perhaps a salad?
salads-msg       (172K)  1/31/08    Period salads. lettuce, greens.
Summer-Salad-art  (17K) 11/28/00    "A Summer Salad" by Lady Jehanne
de Huguenin

The last three files are all in the FOOD section.

If you want suggestions on planning and running a feast, there are
some files in the FEASTS section on this.

I hope this helps.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas