[Sca-cooks] Honey butter was lunch ideas- feedback

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 29 21:07:01 PDT 2009

Euriol commented:

<<< I don't recall where I heard it, so please take this with a grain
of salt,
but I'm thinking there was some mention of honey butter for invalids.

Yes, it was.  See this file in the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section of the
Florilegium for more details:
Honey-Butter-art  (20K) 11/17/01    "Is Honey Butter Period?" by THL
Katja
                                        Davidova Orlova Khazarina.

<<< Another thought that just came to my mind... could honey have
been used to
help try to keep the butter longer with its preservation qualities? >>>

Salt is cheaper. And I suspect that you would need so much honey
compared to the butter that it would be closer to buttered honey.

Of course salt wasn't very available in Iceland, so they didn't salt
their butter and it soured/fermented to the Icelandic version. See
the fd-Iceland-msg file in the Florilegium for more details, much of
it from Nanna, our previous list member who was an author on historic
Icelandic cooking.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas