[Sca-cooks] Salt in Iceland (was Honey butter)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 30 07:14:17 PDT 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:50 AM, edoard at medievalcookery.com wrote:

> [...]

I _think_ the places where salt tends to be harvested from salt water
are places where there are shallow bays and a lot of sunshine; places
like Southern Spain and India. I also believe Northern Europe tends to
see more mined salt, and I'm not sure Iceland is one of the centers
for that.

Add to that the number of Icelandic traditional preserved foods that
you might think ought to be salted, but aren't, or not aggressively
so, such as hakarl and klippfisk/stockfisk and its various close
relatives. And then there's the whole pickling-stuff-in-whey thing.
Milk, we know they've got.

It doesn't sound to me, although I wouldn't in the least mind being
proven wrong on this, that this is a culture with a lot of salt lying
around asking for uses to be invented.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter