[Sca-cooks] Arts and Sciences; bread

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:42:24 PDT 2009

I made and entered Manchet for one of two entries  in our local Arts and Sciences competition.  I am sort of ashamed to say ... I sort of cheated ....

I took the original, converted weight to cups and divided the whole by 12 ... giving me a recipie that started with 10 cups of flour instead of half a busheland 1.5 cups of water instead of one gallon.

Here is what I used

10 cups flour

2 teaspons salt

1.5 cups warm water

1 cup yeast (sponge)

mixed it, kneeded it for 20 minutes, and left to rise near the heater outlet for an hour.  Then I formed into 8 loaves, made relief cuts around each.  Those were set to rise 1.5 hours.  by that time they were each about the size of a mans two fists.  I baked them at 400 for 30 minutes.

Here is where I kind of cheated the competition.

I was running late (what a surprise) so the bread came out of the oven and went into the basket as I was going out the door.   There is something to be said for wafting the aroma of fresh-baked bread past the entire hall on the way to the display table.

The Manchet got max points.

The other entry also got max points.

I am now the Otherhill Arts and Sciences Champion.

AND

I left with eight loaves.  I came home with ZERO.  So, I had to make more.  While I was doing that, I was also minding the children of a friend.  The 10 year old daughter was watching me make bread (mmmm   bread!!  SHE LOVES bread!!!).  So I had her help.  We talked about yeast, and why it works.  I explained the need for the relief cuts, (why would you want to cut the crust off?  Dunno ... I LIKE the crust!!).  Then, I sent her home with a cup of yeast starter, instructions on how to fead it, and a copy of the documentation I used for the competition.  We have a new devote' in the bread making arena.  She took half the Manchet home with her and we ate the rest with (OOP) Ham and Beans for supper last night.

have to make more tonight.

Cheers

Malkin

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.

I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.