[Sca-cooks] Arts and Sciences; bread

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:35:04 PDT 2009

had to wait to respond until I had the actual documentation in hand.  I used "The Good Huswife's Handmaid for the Kitchen".  The conversion of flour was from an Almanac.  A bushel of flour weighs between 55 and 60 pounds, equivelent to  255 - 265 cups.  With that kind of variance ... I was concerned about how that would translate down.  I made a few test-drives before I made the competition batch.

Oh

And ... the flour was carefully measured the first time I made it.  The second and third ... not so much.  The last batch (Sunday) I was less careful about measuring (scoop and dump).  The total liquid was slightly more than 2.5 cups.  I used yeast starter or sponge ... and I keep mine quite liquid so I was at odds on how much liquid to actually USE and still get enough yeastie beasties to grow the dough.  On the tests runs I played with the amound of liquid.    I used one cup of the starter and one cup of warm water and then added more as it needed. On the second test run I paid close attention to how much yeast starter and how much water.  On the competition batch I measured very carefully.  I also reported the test-runs, lessons learned and the actual competition batch in the documentation submitted with the entry.

The coolest thing about the Manchet is ... no sugar.  Tastes sweet ..... but not a bit of added sweetner in it.  That worried me a little at first but it is a GREAT bread.

Judging sheet included (I believe ... I don't have the sheets in hand right now) 1-10 points for presentation, 1-10 for period style, 1-10 for the product and (1-5) for documentation.

cheers

Malkin

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster

Never knock on Death's door.
Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.

I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.