[Sca-cooks] Greek terracotta foufou stove

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Mar 3 09:38:53 PST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Mercy Neumark <mneumark at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen other types of pots in period and from what I can tell (my head hurts, so excuse me if I mis-inturpreted it) it sounds like a chaffing dish to me.  I have some pictures someplace of them (unfortunately not scanned but I MIGHT be able to do that in a few days).  The examples I have are English, around 13-14th or so century.  Sort of  Y shaped.  Fuel efficient... eh, I guess as fuel efficient as cooking anything.  Think of it as a fondue pot of the period really.  And smoke would be coming out like crazy, depending on what you would use.  So, it's not a comfortable way of cooking by any stretch of the imagination.

What makes you think smoke would be coming out like crazy? Hardwood
charcoal is a relatively smokeless fuel. Most of the smoke comes from
the various volatiles that are already burned off in the charcoaling
process. Modern charcoal briquets are something else entirely- and
even they don't give off a lot of smoke, once the fire's properly
started.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up