[Sca-cooks] HELP? What makes a good book on Gastronomy?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 3 14:13:47 PST 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 4:59 PM, Susan Lin wrote:

> "And then you've got the modern stuff, people like Brillat-Savarin,
> whose
> "Physiology of Taste" is still relevant on the subject after 200
> years."
>
> I love the fact that we consider "modern stuff" things that are 200
> years
> old!!!
> shoshanna

Yes, well, "modern" is perhaps open to some broad interpretation, but
it's in relatively modern language, he's writing a fair amount on the
wonders of the New World foods, and expounds on the proper brewing of
coffee and roasting of turkeys and such, so as I say, it can be said
to be speaking to people like you and me as much as it did to, say,
someone living under Napoleon.

My fave is his anecdote about putting one over on the silly Englishmen
who got the last leg of mutton at the inn at which he'd stopped...
apparently the landlord took pity on him and said he could have the
drippings from their roast, which they'd never miss anyway, scrambled
with eggs... so he, of course, snuck over and, when no one was
looking, took a knife and... encouraged... the roast to give up more
juice.

Wassamatta, not good enough for ya??? ;-)

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter