[Sca-cooks] nutmeg poisoning

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 4 00:11:39 PST 2009

<<< Four people fell ill, experiencing severe headaches and dizziness
after eating an apple cake that was made from a recipe published in
the August 2008 issue of the Swedish food magazine, Matmagasinet...
"There was a mistake in a recipe for apple cake. Instead of calling
for two pinches of nutmeg it said 20 nutmeg nuts were needed. >>>

Wow. And that wasn't a cheap cake, either. Nutmegs, although not as
expensive as saffron, even per use are still fairly expensive.
Especially if bought at the grocery store with only four or five per
bottle. I believe I read somewhere that nutmeg was (one of?) the most
expensive spices.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas