[Sca-cooks] OT- Peerage Oaths

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Thu Mar 5 14:04:14 PST 2009

> For you Peers out there, that swore an oath, was the oath you swore a
> generic one, or one that you created for yourself or one taken from
> medieval times?

Mine was very personal - I swore only what I felt I could give and my oath
was to the SCA, not the Kingdom or the Crowns. I swore to them, as
representatives of the Society "the deeds of my heart, my hands, and my mind
in service to the Society for as long as the mountains kiss the sky, the
waters lap the shores or my breath warms my body."

The act of fealty is an act of binding, of gift/obligation between one and
the other - I'm not comfortable with letting others put my honour in their
words.

Since my household is a Great Nation, I do not swear to Kingdoms - although
I have bend knee and sworn fealty to individual throne-holders on a personal
basis after my peerage had taken affect and each of those times, again, it
was a personal oath based in what I specifically wished to give to that
particular monarch, and what they were willing to accept and give to me.

Hrothny