[Sca-cooks] Calontir's Jubliee Celebration

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 5 21:33:06 PST 2009

Helen asked:

<<< All of which begs tht question that needs to be revisited every
year-what should the First Time Head Cook do, when awarded the Feast?
Besides joining this list and asking lots of questions <G>>>>

Find a good mentor. I also think it also helps to have been the
assistant headcook for some feasts before you attempt it by yourself.

They could also read this Florilegium file to get an idea of what
*not* to do and perhaps what to be ready for if it happens.
fst-disasters-msg (70K)  3/23/08    Tales of SCA feasts that were
disasters.

I've also been collecting a bunch of articles about how to run a
feast, much of which has as much or more to do with logistics and
people management than just cooking.

A few examples are:
Fst-Managemnt-art (12K)  7/22/01    "Feast Management" by Lady Eden
Blacksmith.
Fst-Menus-art     (11K)  8/22/04    "On Rules for Feast Menus"
                                       by Lord Daniel Raoul le Vascon
du Navarre.
headcooks-msg    (180K) 10/ 9/08    Advice for SCA headcooks.
Planning feasts.
kitchen-tips-msg  (22K) 11/ 4/08    Practical, short kitchen tips for
SCA feasts
Run-a-Feast-art   (14K) 11/ 2/98    "About Running a Feast" by Minna
Gantz.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas