[Sca-cooks] Four Thieves Vinegar was Seeking Nostradamus recipe info

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Mar 13 13:36:25 PDT 2009

There's an article in Tournaments Illuminated, Issue #152, Fall 2004
"The Confitures of Nostradamus" by Johnna H. Holloway which goes into
his works on the confections and medicinal applications. (Extensive
bibliography, if
I say so myself.)
That article in a different format may be found online as part II of an
article titled:
Part 2 of 2: Nostradamus’ recipes and citations for the overall article
Confectioners and the Secrets They Shared by Johnnae llyn Lewis
http://www.midrealm.org/ArtesDraconisFall2006.pdf

In that article I mention
"It turns out that the easiest way to locate a copy if one has online
access, Adobe Acrobat,
and a fast connection is to look at the Bibliotheque Nationale’s
scanned edition online through Gallica. The work online is:
Nostradamus. Excellent & moult utile opuscule à touts necessaie.
Publication : 1999. 120 p. [an online edition of the BNF
de l’éd. de Lyon : A. Volant, 1555. in-8 Excellent & moult utile
opuscule à touts necessaie , Nostradamus 1555.

Digitized or scanned images with the confitures’ section begins fol. 133ff.
Too complicated?
The easiest way to access the work
is through Cindy Renfrow’s helpful site at

http://www.thousandeggs.com/cookbooks.html#FRENCH
Click on the title under
the heading : Auteur(s) : Nostradamus."
-----------------

The book Devra mentioned Knut Boesler's The Elixirs of Nostradamus is
the only English
translation. I own it plus numerous other facsimile editions.
I'll save you time and tell you that there's no vinegar recipe in it.
Nor is it really surprising since
Nostradamus is linked to anything and everything in terms of magical
concoctions and elixirs.
The fact that Four Thieves Vinegar turns up on sites like
www.luckymojo.com/*fourthievesvinegar*.html should give us warning that
it's all
hokum.
//Or try this Ten Ways: Four Thieves Vinegar.

Four thieves vinegar is a magical secret recipe purported to break any
curse.
http://science.discovery.com/videos/ten-ways-four-thieves-vinegar.html
where it is said to date to medieval England! And it can be found now in
the Southern USA!

The Four Thieves Vinegar also turns up in a number of SCA articles
including this one:
http://www.eastkingdom.org/guilds/herb/tisane_issues/tisane-2007-12.pdf

The earlier posts on this topic can be also found in the SCA Cooks List
archives
since we did some work on this topic back in January.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae