[Sca-cooks] Easter Observances

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Mar 15 11:35:18 PDT 2009

>I have been collecting information about holiday celebrations and
> observations for many years.  A lot of it is random and unedited, but I am
> going to throw it out here to see if it rings any bells for anyone.  I am
> always interested to hear family traditions that either confirm or debunk
> what I've found.
>

> Christianna
>
> Mothering Sunday* - Feudal Europe - On Laetare Sunday (mid-Lent) in
> spring,
> "fostered" children would go to visit their own families. A sweet cake
> called a "simnel"- named for simila=fine flour, plum cakes or cakes with
> almond paste baked inside were taken to their mothers.

This is misleading.  It references Feudal Europe and roughly describes a
modern simnel cake.  The term simnel first appears about the 13th Century
and it describes a small loaf of bread (possibly filled with almond paste
although my opinion is that it came later, possibly in the 17th Century)
baked in a hand raised pastry shell which forms the bottom and sides of the
loaf.  The earliest references consider the simnel to be "twice baked." but
later descriptions give the simnel as boiled, then baked.  The pastry shell
first disappears in a recipe from 1894.

A wood cut in Chambers Book of Days (1864) shows large and small simnels
having a copped outer crust and a filled center.(Fig. 1)  Chambers describes
simnels as:

"...raised cakes, the crust of which is made of fine flour and water, with
sufficient saffron to give it a deep yellow colour, and the interior is
filled with the materials of a very rich plum-cake, with plenty of candied
lemon peel, and other good things. They are made up very stiff; tied up in a
cloth, and boiled for several hours, after which they are brushed over with
egg, and then baked. When ready for sale the crust is as hard as if made of
wood..."

C. Anne Wilson thinks that the simnel may be a combination of recipes for
placenta and emeum and is a continuation of the Roman holiday baking.

And to quote myself,  "Mothering Sunday has been a common name for Laetare
Sunday since the Dark Ages.  Originally Lent commenced on Shrove Sunday and
consisted of was thirty-six days of fasting.  Laetare Sunday occurred at
Mid-Lent and served as a break from the austere fasting rules of Lent.
Apprentices were free to visit their families and gifts were given to the
Mother Church.  Four days were added to early on, but the tradition of
Mothering Sunday continued and was brought into the Protestant churches with
altered meaning.

It was common among the Romans to make gifts and sacrifices of fine
pastries, including placenta, during religious festivals.  It is likely that
the custom continued under Christianity and it is probable that the simnel
is an evolution of placenta used in the old Roman fashion as a gift at
Mid-Lent or Easter.

While absolute proof of the origin of the simnel is lost to us, it appears
related to the Roman pastry placenta in that it has a hard outer shell and a
soft inner bread filling.  Like placenta, simnel became gift for religious
holidays, possibly with an enriched filling for Mid-Lent.  If Wilson's idea
that the simnel is derived from two separate recipes is correct, then this
would the first step in its evolution."  (Simnels:  From Fine Bread to Fancy
Cake, presented at the Serve It Forth! 3rd Conference on Europen Cooking
>From Rome to the Renaissance, 2005).

Bear