[Sca-cooks] Is Rhubarb period for Europe? or not?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Mar 22 20:42:32 PDT 2009

Chinese rhubarb is Rhuem officinale and is grown primarily for medicinal
purposes.  Garden rhubarb is Rhuem rhabarbarum and is grown for the edible
stalks.  Whether rhubarb was eaten in Europe before the 17th Century is open
to question.  That it was known, there is no doubt.  To quote Christopher
Columbus (although he almost certainly mis-identified both rhubarb and
cinnamon), "I have found rhubarb and cinnamon, and I shall find a thousand
other things of value."

Ballester and French in "Practical Medicine from Salerno to the Black Death
reference a medical question from 1299 about the action of rhubarb.  And
from the Regimen sanitatis salernitanum
http://www.archive.org/stream/schoolofsalernum00hariiala/schoolofsalernum00hariiala_djvu.txt ,
"Thus for a purge for a person of noble birth Cophon recommended rhubarb,
very finely powdered, while for peasants he used mirobolanum macerated with
or without sugar."

Bear