[Sca-cooks] OT- Peerage Oaths

Celia des Archier CeliadesArchier at cox.net
Mon Mar 23 22:17:32 PDT 2009

Shoshanna said:
<<Just so long as your Kingdom recognizes a MoA as I understand some do not.
Or to be more correct I understand that some Kingdoms would never create a
MoA for any number of reasons.  Someone in one of those Kingdoms who could
not (for whatever reason) swear fealty would not ever have the opportunity
to be a member of the Chivalry.>>

Hmmm... I didn't realize it was an option.  I understood that the orders of Chivalry, as well as the other Peerage, were Society
wide orders.  Yes, I realize that some customs surrounding the Peerage are Kingdom wide customs, and one enters the Peerage at a
Kingdom level, but the orders themselves were established at a Society level is my understanding.

This is also born out by the fact that the New Members' Guide) and (IIRC - I don't have my copy in front of me) the KWH both
describe the Orders of Chivalry.
"The Order of Chivalry of the SCA consists of two equal subdivisions, Knighthood and Mastery of Arms. Knights are outstanding
fighters who have received recognition for their fighting skills, together with their non-martial abilities and courtliness.  They
strive to be the very models of Courtesy and Chivalry. Only a Knight is permitted to wear a solid white belt, unadorned chain, and
spurs. Knights are required to swear fealty to the Crown at the time they are admitted to the Order. They are addressed as 'Sir' or
'Dame.' Members of this Order who choose not to swear fealty to the Crown are known as Masters at Arms and wear a white baldric.
They are addressed as 'Master' or 'Mistress.'"  - ("A New Members' Guide to the Society for Creative Anachronism" pp. 9-10

Now, as this is an official Society publication, offered through the stock clerk's office, I would expect it to be accurate and that
the custom would be society wide.  At least as of the copyright date (2000.)  Have things changed since then?

So, does anyone belong to a Kingdom where they don't have Masters of Arms? Shoshonna, which Kingdom(s) do you understand not to
acknowledge them?

In service,
Celia