[Sca-cooks] Mud oven - repost, sort of.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 24 20:20:37 PDT 2009

Cedric Cenfrithes sunu said:

<<< This is an excerpt of an email to Stefan about my experience with
a mud oven at Estrella.  Not knowing the etiquite of the list, I
should have posted here also.   Also, I have been reading all the
oven stuff in the Florilgeium and have a couple of thoughts.  Anyone
have some ideas.

Two things I noticed in the articles on the site that I have read.

  1.  There was discussion about the small open box type area
underneath the oven.  My first thought, and I got this from
experience, this is where to put the embers and burning items when
you clean out the oven for use.  People have stated that they have
seen pics with just for wood storage and also pics of fires.  This
would explain both.  But, of course, this is only opinion. >>>

This makes a *lot* of sense. And while using such a spot in the oven
for storing wood would work, the wood could easily be stored
elsewhere, while storing the hot embers there, at least while they
cool down and can be safely cast elsewhere, makes more sense.

<<< 2.  I heard mention of swabbing out the oven after fire and
before use.  What is used here?  Never heard this before. >>>

How else do you keep the bottoms of the loaves from being burned by
remaining embers or covered with soot and ashes? Not to say there
still wouldn't be some ash, but there should be a lot less than
simply raking out the embers and tossing in the loaves. I would
expect that any additional moisture left in the oven from wiping out
the oven with wet rags would also be helpful.

I'm glad that you have found the ovens-msg file to be of use to you,
even if it did simply raise more questions.

I also have this file in the SCA-CAMPING section, but it is more on
smaller, non-mass ovens for camp use.
camp-ovens-msg    (58K)  6/25/06    Small period and SCA camp ovens.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com