[Sca-cooks] A little article I wrote on Le Menagier's sausages...

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Mar 24 18:21:03 PDT 2009

>Cool
>(Oh and we can date shortbreads dated to 1597 now.
>The DSL includes a quotation dated 1597 for:
>Four schort breid and ane buist of confeitis; )
>
>Johnnae

That tells us that there was something called "schort breid" in 1597.
It doesn't tell us what it was. We can date "gingerbrede" back to the
14th century--but not what we call "gingerbread." At least not so far
as I know.

What's the earliest actual recipe for shortbread that we have?
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com