[Sca-cooks] Extra dried fruits

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 08:52:02 PDT 2009

Here it is:

Diego Diaz Nieto’s Haroset Balls*

(Makes 15 1-inch balls)

2 apples, cored and finely diced

6T chopped almonds (substitute other nuts or I suppose you could leave them
out)

6T chopped dates (substitute pitted prunes or fig for the dates or raisins
below)

6T chopped raisins

12 chestnuts, cooked and peeled (are they “nuts” like almonds?? Do not know)

¾ t cinnamon

3T sugar – divided (substitute brown sugar or a combination if you wish)

5T white vinegar

1.  Place the diced apples, almonds, dates, raisins and chestnuts into an
unbreakable bowl.  With a potato masher or similar utensil, mash the
ingredients together.  [According to the instructions – do not use a food
processor because they will not hold together if they are ground to a pulpy
paste.]

2.  Add the cinnamon and 1T of the sugar and mix well.

3.  Place the remaining sugar in a small bowl.

4.  With your fingers, form the haroset mixture into 1-inch balls.  Roll
them in the sugar and place them on a plate.

5.  Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.

6.  To serve, arrange the haroset balls on a platter or on individual
plates.  Spoon the vinegar over the, allotting approximately 1T to 3 haroset
balls.  Let them stand until most of the vinegar is absorbed.

*This recipe comes from *A Drizzle of Honey* (The Lives and Recipes of
Spain’s Secret Jews) by David M. Gitlitz & Linda Kay Davidson.

The book is a wonderful collection of recipes and stories about the
Conversos – the secret Jews of Spain during the Inquisition in Late Medieval
Iberia.  There are end notes and a bibliography that have a lot of
information in them.

I have used this book when teaching Jewish Food Traditions in the mundane
world.  My only regret is that there are no pictures!!!!

Shoshanna