[Sca-cooks] Wild West Delicacy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 28 18:35:08 PDT 2009

<<< Couldn't pass up that title since the NYT article was
titled
Delicacy of the Wild West Lives on for Those So Bold

Johnnae

Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:
They're really no worse than sweetbreads (or actual oysters, for that
matter), at least inasmuch as I refuse to go anywhere near either of
them. *grins*
Delicacy==really disgusting animal bits that nobody would touch if
they weren't called a delicacy

Margaret FitzWilliam >>>

Well, for those interested in trying out, or at least reading about,
the medieval versions of these delicacies, see this file in the FOOD-
MEATS section of the Florilegium:
organ-meats-msg  (114K) 11/14/08    Period cooking of organ meats.

I remember some of us sampling sheep "mountain oysters" when Phlip
had her sheep butchering class near Pennsic several years ago.

For those of you who prefer the oysters from the sea, well you'll
have to look in this different Florilegium file:
seafood-msg      (102K)  2/19/09    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com