[Sca-cooks] lunch ideas- feedback

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Mar 29 17:34:36 PDT 2009

In a message dated 3/29/2009 11:06:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tudorpot at gmail.com writes:

<<I have volunteered to create a lunch for 50 at an event in June, warm
weather here in Ealdomere. This will be my first contribution to my
canton, in this my first year in the SCA. The budget is $100- which may
go to $150 if I whine a little. Is this budget doable?>>

$2/person can be doable for lunch depending on local food prices, judicious
recipe choices, and your ability to shop around.  I could probably pull it off
here, but I don't know what your food prices are like.  It also depends on
what is being looked for - are we talking a light snack, or substantial food?
I've seen lunches be either.  $3 would certainly make it easier, but I'd suggest
doing some legwork to be able to present to your financial backers why you
feel you need more.

<<Suggestions would be appreciated. I have been told that period food is
not necessary, but I would like to have one or two period items. I only
have one period cookbook- Take a Thousand Eggs.>>

Anything that will use local, in-season produce will be cheaper.  At least
around here, that would be peas, greens, beans, berries, etc.  Things like
apples or root veggies, which are more fall crops, would be more expensive.  One
thing to consider - are they expecting things that can be put on a  plate and
eaten with fingers, or do people expect to need a bowl and spoon or fork?  That
can make a big difference in the recipes chosen.  Also, what type of cooking
facilities will you have available, how much help, and how much time from when
you can get on site until when you need to serve?  If you have minimal
facilities, no help, or can only be on site for 2 hours before you serve, you need to
choose things that can basically be prepped ahead, plated, and served; if you
have better facilities, more time, and more help, you may be able to cook
things fresh.
My personal rule when cooking for any SCA event is to use period foods only;
we're supposed to be educating people, after all.  But it's certainly not a
requirement.

Brangwayna Morgan
Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
Lancaster, PA