[Sca-cooks] Honey butter was lunch ideas- feedback

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 30 00:06:01 PDT 2009

Johnnae mentioned:
<<< I believe that we've discussed my article on the topic here
before. >>>

I don't remember this article being mentioned before, but I could
have just missed it. I don't always have the time to go explore all
the interesting links folks post here. It is worth reading, folks.

<<< Again it's one of those concoctions
that hardly needs a recipe and in households that made butter on a
daily or near daily basis, was it done to hide an ill tasting spring
butter?
(There's nothing quite like butter made from cream when the cows have
been eating wild onions.)>>>

Would the honey even cover up the taste of this onion butter?  On the
other hand, I think that such an onion butter would make a great
basting sauce for a bird. Or even be good on a coarse, wheat bread,
although not a sweet one, or a rye bread.

<<< The article is: Honey Butter and Butter Sculptures
http://www.midrealm.org/pentamere/pdfs/Gauntlet_Jan-Mar08.pdf >>>

I like the idea of the butter sculpting/molding, although without
this evidence I would have said it was more likely to be French of
Victorian British.

The photograph in the newsletter of the swans is interesting. A lot
of butter for one table though, even the headtable. Was it later
divied up and passed around to the other tables? Also, on my screen
at least, the gold dust looks more like a sprinkling of paprika than
gold. Or was it more golden/shiny in real life?

These butter sculptures might not work in the outdoor summer feast we
were discussing, but I like the idea.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas