[Sca-cooks] Arts and Sciences; bread

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 30 14:10:01 PDT 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Georgia Foster wrote:

> I made and entered Manchet for one of two entries  in our local Arts
> and Sciences competition.  I am sort of ashamed to say ... I sort of
> cheated ....
>

> I took the original, converted weight to cups and divided the whole
> by 12 ... giving me a recipie that started with 10 cups of flour
> instead of half a busheland 1.5 cups of water instead of one gallon.

Congrats on your achievement -- it sounds like you'll approach the
role of champion with integrity, which is what's important.

Can you tell us more about the original recipe you used? Who's this
making a bushel of flour's worth of manchet? I STR Markham giving a
recipe with instructions on how to shape them and all, but I don't
have it in front of me right now... I just remember following his
shaping instructions and getting little loaves that were almost
perfect little hat-box-shaped cylinders, which was way cool.

Glad to hear you're having fun, and hoping to hear more...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter