[Sca-cooks] Arts and Sciences; bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Mar 30 23:49:08 PDT 2009

The recipe states "every bushell of meale may be made five and twentie caste
of bread, and every loaf to way a pound besyde the chesill."  A caste is two
or three loaves, in this case two loaves, which is four manchets or 100
manchets to be made from the flour "besyde the chesill."  The assumption you
appear to have made is that the full bushel of flour is usable, but the
recipe is actually calling for the removal of the bran (chesill) before use.
The chesill was commonly one peck per bushel, or in the case of a 56 pound
bushel, 14 pounds.  Based on your bushel size, the actual weight of the
flour is between 41.25 pounds and 45 pounds or between 160 and 180 cups,
given a 4 ounce cup.

Based on the recipe and a 56 pound bushel, 100 manchets will require 42
pounds of flour, 2 gallons of water (256 fl. ozs. based on the Elizabethan
wine gallon) and 1 quart of ale barm (32 fl. ozs.) and perhaps 4 ounces of
salt depending on the size of your fist.

Rather than try to figure out the sponge requirements, I'd use a couple
teaspoons of dry active yeast to a quarter cup of warm water to approximate
the ale barm.

You got me interested in playing with the recipe again, so maybe I'll make
up a batch for SCA hospitality tent at the Medieval Fair this coming
weekend.

Bear