[Sca-cooks] Baker of Bagels in the 11th C

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Tue Mar 31 12:52:52 PDT 2009

<<

I ran across a passing comment about a Jewish "ka'ki" or "Baker of
Bagels" in Vol. 2 of Goitein's _A Mediterranean Society_.

Does anyone have more specific information, or recipes for 11th- 12th C
bagels?

Samia >>

<<
I wonder if this may not be a mistranslation due to a shift in usage. ... >>

In volume I, page 254, the author says: "A Jewish ka'ki, or maker of cakes".

The source mentioned in note 152 on page 464 is a document from the Cairo Geniza collection from the year 1010.

On the Cairo Geniza:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_Geniza

As for 11th century recipes, the only chance I can think of is that huge Arabic collection, translated by someone whose name escapes me for the moment. The color of the book is red.

E.