[Sca-cooks] Baker of Bagels in the 11th C

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Tue Mar 31 15:18:29 PDT 2009

<<<

Regarding S.D. Goitein A Mediterranean Society--
the author died in 1985, so he could not have been using Annals of the
Caliphs' Kitchens. Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq's Tenth-Century Baghdadi
Cookbook. English Translation with Introduction and Glossary by Nawal
Nasrallah.

So the question remains -- is there a footnote with the source indicated?
Once we know that we can track it. I own the Annals so if it can be
traced to Ibn Sayyar I can look it up.

Sorry. Pointing to the Nasrallah translation, I did not mean to give the source of the Goitein, volume II, quotation, Samia mentioned. I assume the source for this quote will be one of the Cairo Geniza documents as well. (I guess, Samia will look up the footnote in question herself and let us know.)

Rather, my points were:

first: there is another passage in volume I ("A Jewish ka'ki or maker of cakes"). This might be important for what exactly we are looking for.

Second: the Nasrallah translation _might_ contain some contribution to Samia's question:

<< Does anyone have more specific information, or recipes for 11th- 12th C bagels? >>

Johnnae, if you could check the Nasrallah translation and see whether or not there are any recipes for bagel-like things, that would be great.

Many thanks,

E.