[Sca-cooks] Another leavening agent was Baker of Bagels in the 11th C

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Mar 31 16:32:46 PDT 2009

Curious.  Sodium tetraborate decahydrate (borax) shouldn't react in a way to
act as a leavening.  It is, however, a water softener and as such could
improve the quality of the bread.  I note that it is used with yeast and not
as a separate leaven.

This might also be the reason for the "soda" in the recipe for bread in
Feast for the Qan.

Bear