[Sca-cooks] Another leavening agent was Baker of Bagels in the 11th C

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 31 17:07:47 PDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 7:50 PM, I wrote:

>> Already tagged in and I see memory failed on remembering A Soup for
>> the Qan.
>
> And, of course, I now can't find a single word in reference to it in
> ASftQ. Probably sometimes next year I'll find it in Ni Tsan or in a
> footnote. Generally my memory loses or misplaces things, but almost
> never manufactures something I haven't actually seen. Of course,
> there's always a first time.

http://slurpandburp.blogspot.com/2006/01/imbb-22-lamian-chinese-stretched.html

This is a fairly lengthy blog diary on northern Chinese pulled
noodles, containing something of an argument between readers/posters
on whether they do, or should, contain a small amount of borax, and why.

The consensus among the people that think it belongs in those noodles
seems to be that in noodles, it's about gluten extensibility, which,
given the high gluten flour traditionally used for bagels, could be
said to make some sense.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter