[Sca-cooks] Indian black salt

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 11 21:25:37 PDT 2009

Adamantius said:

>> Just one: Do not, do not, do not, use Indian black salt in pork
>> sausages. It is very bad and will exact a terrible vengeance upon
>> you.
>
> Now you *have* to tell the story...

Seriously, though, my experience was that, either due to the salt
itself, and any impurities that may add to its character, or perhaps
to chemicals in the meat itself (which was pork), when reacting with
the salt, created a pretty powerful hydrogen sulfide whiff. The
sausages, which were otherwise unremarkable and made with great care,
frankly stank. I hoped that the fumes would dissipate in cooking. They
didn't.>>>

Ok, this makes sense looking at the Wikipedia entry for "Indian black
salt".

"Chemically, black salt is sodium chloride, with iron, sulfurous
compounds and trace minerals."

So yes, that would be the source of the hydrogen sulfide you smell.
Frankly, it doesn't sound like a good salt for any food. But the
entry further says "Black salt ... is used as a laxative and
digestive aid. It is also believed to relieve intestinal gas and
heartburn." and "Black salt is appreciated by vegans in dishes that
mimic the taste of eggs". Rotten eggs?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas