[Sca-cooks] funny book review - OOP

devra at aol.com devra at aol.com
Wed Mar 18 07:57:42 PDT 2009

Just saw this review in Publishers' Weekly magazine, and thought to share it.

Lobel's Meat Bible
Stanley, Evan, Mark and David Lobel. Chronicle, $40. (320p) ISBN 978-0-9119-5826-7

And it came to pass that Stanley Lobel, son of Morris, and his own sons and nephew, did toil on the island Manhattan, and grew wise in the ways of butchery, of the cleaver and of the cutting board, so that they may bring unto us this season these eight chapters and lead us into temptation. They tell of the beast that chews its cud so that we may know the difference between the shell steak and the tenderloin, the hanger steak and the skirt. And that we may know the proper ways to beget steak tartare, beef jerky and cardonade of beef in Belgian beer. Lo, the cloven-hoofed animal shall be know by its pancetta and prosciutto. It will lieth down in an Alsatian pork-and-potato casserole and riseth up in Kansas City-style baby back ribs. That which cock-a-doodles shall ne'er be overlooked, but shall be stewed in a spice tomato-peanut sauce with oka. And its sister, the guinea hen,? shall ramble in rosemary and white wine when it is braised. And so it is also with the veal and with the lamb, the hare and the quail. Stocks, sauces and chutney will make covenant with the flock so that chimichurri saucse might enliven beef, and Russian dressing make whole a Reuben sandwich. Recipes number 135, well photographed and indexed. And it is good.

I never thought of pigs as cloven-hoofed myself, but I guess they are... they just don't chew the cud, eh?

Devra the Butch...er, Baker