[Sca-cooks] Is Rhubarb period for Europe? or not?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 22 18:09:11 PDT 2009

Regina replied to me with:
<<< Rhubarb.  Not period for Western Europe, but works (says the
owner of a 150
year old rhubarb plant).  I love the stuff in various forms to
include just
cut up and dipped in sugar (substitute now), but there is a price to
pay... >>>

I'm trying to verify whether Rhubarb is period for Europe or not, and
finding conflicting information. I can't seem to find my copy of
Waverly Root's book right now.

But the following is typical of what I'm finding on the web from
several sites.

<<< Rhubarb, botanically-known as Rheum rhabarbarum, comes from a
combination of the Greek word Rha for the Volga River, and the Latin
word barbarum, for the region of the Rha River inhabited by non-
Romans. The popular edible species, Rheum rhaponticum, originated
most likely in Mongolia or Siberia. It was introduced to Europe by
Italian botanist Prosper Alpinus in 1608 as a substitute for Chinese
Rhubarb whose roots were used medicinally. >>>

One version was introduced in 1608, so marginal. But it would seem
that the "Chinese" version was known and used medicinally.

So, Regina, what are you basing your comment on?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas