[Sca-cooks] artichoke & pea pie

devra at aol.com devra at aol.com
Mon Mar 30 13:46:45 PDT 2009

Nope, no pancetta. From 'Book of Old Tarts", Elizabeth Hodder.

single crust pastry
14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained
8 oz frozen peas, thawed
6 oz heavy cream
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
..5 t plus a pinch dried tarragon, or 1.75 t fresh
1T plus .75 t lemon juice
..75 t castor sugar (I just used granulated)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
..25 of a nutmeg, to grind over completed pie
fresh sprig mint and grated nutmeg or lemon zest, to garnish

Line deep dish 9 inch pie pan (10 " might even be better) with pastry and bake blind.
Set oven to 375*.
Roughly chop up the artichoke hearts and lay on the base of the pie shell.
Whizz up?peas, cream, egg, egg yolks, tarragon, lemon juice, sugar, salt, & pepper in food processor until well blended.
Pour over the artichokes.
Grate fresh nutmeg on top.
Bake in oven 30-35 minutes, until mixture is set but still squidgy. It willbe bright green in color but should show signs of browning around the edges.
Garnish with mint, etc.
Serve warm or at room temperature.

You might want to add the salt and pepper to taste after you've blended the other ingredients.

This makes a lot of filling - you may need to put some of it into custard cups if it threatens to overflow the pan.

You could probably use an equivalent amount of frozen artichoke hearts.

The recipe is English, and I've made the figures over to US, which explains the oddness of some of the measurements.

This is obviously a spring/summer dish, what with the fresh young peas and sprig of mint garnish.

This is very tasty and would work for ovo-lacto veggies.

Devra