[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP "Begging for Thanksgiving"

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 4 13:56:06 PST 2009

On Nov 4, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:
> This is one of the things for which Wikipedia is useful. I remember
> reading
> a lot about Beggars' Night and such. Most of these traditions seem
> to have
> been regional, occuring at different dates somewhere around this
> time of
> year, sometimes the night before Halloween, sometimes November 1 or 2,
> sometimes at Thanksgiving.

It's also interesting to look at the number of holidays celebrated by
some form of begging or other profitable door-to-door activity, like
singing the Wren Song in Ireland on St. Stephen's Day, Wassailing or
Christmas caroling, the First Communion collection mentioned in
"Angela's Ashes" (I had never heard of that one before), and, of
course, trick-or-treating...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter