[Sca-cooks] persimmon

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 4 23:07:02 PST 2009

I was reading over some of my unread digests and Shoshanna(?) (Susan
Lin) said:
<<< What about persimmon?  I for one had a horrible reaction (I'd say
allergic
reaction but I've been told I'm not allowed to say allergic unless
I've been
diagnosed as such) to eating one once but is it possible it was a
persimmon
and not an apple or a quince.  >>>

Does anyone have any period recipes that actually call for persimmons?
I think of those mainly as an ornamental yard bush. I did do a search
in the Florilegium and all I have there is passing comments when
talking about other fruits. Definitely no recipes or mentions on SCA
feast menus.

Has anyone else eaten one of these? What was your impression of them?
Better than Shoshanna's?

Are they available in the grocery stores? I don't think I've seen them
for sale, but then that may be a regional thing if folks do find them
edible.

I did see fresh quinces several weeks ago (at Central Market) and
considered buying one to try it. But at $1 each, I didn't want to buy
several w/o a recipe and wasn't sure if I could eat it raw just to try
one.  But at that price, no wonder folks have said it was cheaper to
buy the pre-made quince paste than to make it yourself. Which is what
I did for my recent Nobles Luncheon.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------