[Sca-cooks] persimmon

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Thu Nov 5 13:37:27 PST 2009

I have an interesting story about what were served in Australia as
'Japanese' persimmons, as opposed to the regular kind normally
available in Australia.

To my father, the 'Japanese" persimmons tasted unripe.  The owner
of the restaurant, when summoned, tasted them and pronounced them
perfectly ripe.

One of my sisters, who takes after my father, also declared that
they seemed quite unripe.

To my mother they seemed just fine.

The other sister, who takes after my mother, also said that they
tasted great.

To me, who has a mixture of traits from both parents, they seemed
a bit tangy but perfectly edible.  I happen to enjoy an acid edge
to many foods, for example preferring Granny Smith apples.

So there is presumably some genetic component to how a persimmon
tastes, whether ripe or not.

I have noted also a (presumably) genetic component to how hot
Indian spicing tastes versus how hot Thai spicing tastes.  To
me the Thai tastes much hotter, whereas to a former girlfriend
the Indian tasted much hotter.  An interesting reversal of
'temperature'.

Thorvald