[Sca-cooks] shelling walnut help

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Fri Nov 6 13:26:35 PST 2009

On 6 Nov 2009, at 3:20 PM, morgana.abbey at juno.com wrote:

> I'm about to acquire grocery bags of both English and black
> walnuts.  I know we've discussed best ways to shell them, but I
> don't remember what those were.
>
> And right now I'm having that weird sinus thing that won't let me
> concentrate to remember or search for the answers.
>
> Anyone able to pony up the answers?
>
> Thanx
> Morgana

I don't know a way other than the old-fashioned way (nutcracker and
sore hands for days), but I do know that you definitely want to remove
the outer hulls (not the hard shell, but the outer leafy bit) with
gloves on. Walnut hulls are used as a source of dye for hair and
cloth, so wear clothes that you don't mind getting very stained,
unless they come pre-hulled.

Judith / no SCA name yet
Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg