[Sca-cooks] Preserving peaches

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 6 23:28:20 PST 2009

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:38:48 -0500
Going through my back digests I saw this message from Talana from
August 25:

<<< Some weeks back, someone mentioned the Martha Washington's
cookbook's recipe for preserving peaches in wine and, as the Oklahoma
peach crop was coming in just then, I gave it a whirl.  I got a half-
bushel of Porter peaches (a variety of freestones - Augustas, I think)
and, deciding to go on an all-Ansteorra theme, a bottle of a Texas
moscato (Ste. Genevieve), and got to work.

The result was beautiful and absolutely delicious.  The wine and peach
juice made a lovely, rosy syrup with some of the richest flavor I've
ever gotten putting up peaches.  The moscato added a light honey tone
to the taste.

This first attempt was a complete success.  I'm having to ration how
much I let the husband put on his ice cream/pound cake/oatmeal so
we'll have some to enjoy this winter.

If I were to try using ingredients closer to those of the time period
of the recipe, what varieties of peaches and what wines would be
appropriate equivalents? >>>

Have you done any more experiments with this recipe? How did they come
out?

Also, I don't have this cookbook. Can someone post this particular
recipe?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------